Young Roots Project
Young Roots Project with Wycombe Youth Action
Overall, the project has received 1152 young people and 471 adult volunteer sessions worth of support so far. This equates to £60,000 of volunteer contribution day rates.
Thanks to funding from the Heritage Lottery fund, Thames Valley Housing, Red Kite Housing and High Wycombe Bidco, we have been able to create our unique 18 month Young Roots project in partnership with Wycombe Youth Action.
We aimed to create a seven point Wye trail from the Wycombe Swan area to Kingsmead with the involvement of 500 young people from High Wycombe. This included conservation work to improve the river habitat, art installations to signpost the river, interviews with the public and older residents to draw out oral history, river investigations and photography to show off the plants and animals that live there.
Part of the project involved cooking, music and re-greening of the town centre. The trail included QR links to film, photography and information to inspire the public to make the most of and look after their river. Have a look at the photos below to see the massive impact we have made on the quality of the river and the surrounding area this year.
Young Roots 2:
Although this part of the Young Roots project is nearing its end we are hugely grateful to Red Kite who have funded us for another Young Roots style mini project at the end of the year. Keep an eye out on our Events page for details.
Red Kite Gibbs House Sheltered Housing and Kingsmead Recreation Ground -1st and 2nd August
90 young people and adults attended our eighth and final two day conservation village led by our brilliant team of Chiltern Rangers Staff, Wycombe Youth Action Youth Workers, Dan Wilson (our local artist) and Gary and Scott from Highway Productions.
Beforehand Ranger Paul worked with the residents of Gibbs House to find out how they wanted their home improved. As you can see from the photographs, we had a lot of fun and did so much to improve the habitat, both for our special ‘secret river’ and residents.
Our Young People Volunteers were amazing and we achieved so much together, we:
- Thinned trees along the river and cut out a large willow that had fallen into the river, bringing light back and reducing flood risk
- A huge river clean litter pick with bags and bags of rubbish removed
- The river bank cleared, gardened
- A fantastic film (soon to be released)
- Large scale art installations with Dan Wilson’s guidance (soon to be ready to be put up)
- 12 bird and bat boxes made, painted & put up (ready to put up)
- Overgrown area: dug out old fence, cleared of rubbish including old TVs, cut down bushes and nettles, built a compost area for residents who only have one small green bin for their large garden area.
- Braved very wet weather on the second day and had such a positive, fun, ‘can do’ attitude despite the conditions.
- We put on an extra session for an NCS group who couldn’t come on the days, 13 young people had a fantastic time on Thursday 3rd August helping to make a woodland path in one of our new Nature Reserves.
Young Roots Videos including videos of previous sessions
Watch some of the wonderful films that our Young Roots participants have been making below. Oral history interviews and a summary of Young Rootsters’ experiences are to be released soon.
Click here for the latest video:
See our past events
- Young Roots at Funges River Safari August 2017
- Young Roots at Edgewood Red Kite Housing April 2017
- Young Roots at Park Street Red Kite sheltered housing February 2017
- Young Roots at Red Kite Barrowcroft sheltered housing October 2016
- Young Roots August Conservation Village 2016
- Young Roots May/June event 2016
Other Opportunities for Young People
Wycombe Youth Forum Activities:
Wycombe Youth Forum is for young people who want to get even more involved in helping lead Young Roots and other projects that will make a difference to High Wycombe’s Young people. Take a look at the Young Roots Activity Poster to see what we are getting up to and Sadia from Wycombe Youth Action always make sure we are well fed!
Young Roots Mini Projects
We are looking for young people who want to develop and use their skills in:
Social Media and Web Design:
- Build the Young Roots web site
- Develop our social media communication to Young People
Art and Design:
- Design QR Code Trail plaques
- Design the trail leaflets
Feel free to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or Sadia through sadia@wycombeyouthaction or give us a call to find out more.