Trail site 4
Young Roots at Edgewood Red Kite Housing 3rd and 4th April 2017
Over 40 young people and twenty adult volunteers including two visits from High Wycombe Fire Brigade attended each day led by our brilliant team of Chiltern Rangers Staff, Wycombe Youth Action Youth Workers, Dan Wilson (our local artist) and Gary and Scott from Highway Productions.
Beforehand Ranger Paul worked with the residents of Edgewood to find out how they wanted their home improved. As you can see from the photographs, we had a lot of fun and did so much to improve the habitat, both for our special ‘secret river’ and residents.
Our Young People Volunteers were amazing and we achieved so much together:
- Thinned trees along the river, bringing light back & creating kingfisher perches
- A significant river clean pick with bags and bags of rubbish removed
- The river bank cleared, gardened
- Water marginal & pollinator plugs planted along the river, increasing diversity
- Planted an apple avenue (all different varieties)
- Created a wildflower and edible plant area
- A fantastic film
- 3 Large scale art installations with Dan Wilson’s guidance
- 15 bird and bat boxes made, painted & put up
- Oak Planter Built
Overall, the project had received 715 young people and 387 adult volunteer sessions worth of support during the first year of the project. Well above target!
Young Leaders Emerging:
We are so pleased that young leaders were emerging. Several young people came early to the conservation village to help set up and help our staff team lead the activities.
Have a browse through the photos below:
‘I have really enjoyed today and the art especially and I feel like I have improved my art skills.‘ Romilly age 12